Sunday, June 24, 2012

*** 8 MiLe SunDaY *** =}



    Just about every Sunday, for the last 76 weeks, I have ran 8 miles on the treadmill.  People ask me all the time 'how do you do it?.'.  My answer is  ...  It has taken me time to build up my miles.  Trust me, I didnt start off at 8 miles!, I've taken it 1. MILE. AT. A. TIME..  I would have to say though, the biggest tool that helped me build up my endurance on the treadmill was following 'Bob Greene's 12 week total body makeover bootcamp'.  It all started back in February of 2005, I was watching the Oprah show, she was starting a boot camp for herself, and some of her staff, lead by Bob Greene.  At that time, I decided that I wanted to do it too... Justin (my hubby) and I had just purchased a treadmill for our home (best investment EVER) so the timing could not have been more perfect!  I followed the boot camp plan to the T for 12 weeks without skipping a workout!  It was just what I needed at that time to jump start my journey into getting in shape.  I went from about 182lbs. to 157lbs. in that 12 week period.  I recommend this plan to anyone who wants to jump start their journey into getting fit.  I also purchased Bob Greene's book that came out at that time, "Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover", which also details the 12 week total body makeover plan and boot camp. I highly recommend reading it!! ~ Keep in mind that nutrition plays a HUGE part in all of this too, not just the exercise, the book goes into detail with all of that. 

 I have broken down the 12 week bootcamp exercises for anyone who is interested to see how it all works or if you even want to give it a try!  ~  You have nothing to lose, but weight, if you do! :)

  • You have eight workouts a week with one day of rest.
  • Six days a week, you do 20 minutes of resistance training using dumbbells. Choose a weight that's heavy enough to tire the muscle by the 12th rep—most women begin with five to ten pounds (Oprah's using 15 pounds for the biceps and 12 for all the other moves; the rest of the team is starting with eight). If you already weight train, go through your upper-body exercises. Try some of Oprah's favorites!
  • Each session includes a cardio workout. Start with 30 minutes, five days a week, and on the sixth day, double the time to an hour. But here's the trick: The more comfortable a workout is, the less effective, so the aerobics are designed to constantly up the metabolic ante. Oprah and her team are using treadmills and increasing the challenge every two minutes by raising the speed, incline, or both. The idea is to continually push yourself a little further than you thought you could go, until you get to the point where you can talk but don't want to.
  • Every day, take it up a notch; staying at the same level is the biggest mistake people make. Don't be afraid to jack up that incline!
  • Every week, extend the aerobics sessions by two minutes (week two would be 32 minutes and 64 on the long workout). So by the end of the three months, you'll be doing almost an hour a day, and double that on the sixth session.
  • On top of all of this, you do a second half-hour workout two days a week. This session is a combination of cardio and strength training that Oprah learned from John Travolta's trainer, Steve Maye: Every five minutes, you alternate between the treadmill and a series of floor moves: situps, squats, and biceps curls and lateral raises with the hand weights.


  • The 'second workout' that you do 2 days a week:

  • Do 5 minutes on the treadmill at 3 mph on a 12 incline, or as close to that incline as you can. Every time you get back on the machine, you'll increase the speed and lower the incline.
  • Next 5 minutes: Get off and a floor series of biceps curls, lateral raises, squats, and situps
  • Next 5 minutes: Back to the treadmill 3.5 mph and a 10 incline.
  • Next 5 minutes: Then do your floor routine: biceps curls, lateral raises, squats, and situps.
  • Next 5 minutes: Back on the treadmill at 4 mph and an 8 incline.
  • Next 5 minutes: Do your floor work series.
  • Last 5 minutes: Back on the treadmill at a light jog, 4.5 mph, and a 4 incline.



  • I hope that this helps YOU, as much as it did ME, to jump start your journey to 'Believe in Yourself' and 'Live the Life You Love'. 
    My journey, so far, has taken 7 years and counting, but I now weigh between 135lbs. & 138lbs. (depending on the day! ;)) and I. BELIEVE. IN. MYSELF.!! :)



    No comments:

    Post a Comment